Thoughts & Work. 2nd Year BA Drawing.

Monday 15 November 2010

ANGELA DE LA CRUZ

I want ANGELA DE LA CRUZ to win the Turner Prize this year.


 I went to Tate Britain to see Mike Nelson's The Coral Reef, which was a very exciting and curious experience, completely different to what I expected from the descriptions I had been given by others who had already seen the show.


After emerging quite bewildered and dazed I decided to also look at the Turner Prize nominees. I felt the work of Angela De La Cruz related to my own in that she spoke about making works on a human scale and this idea of a human presence in the pieces rather than anything tangible.



She spoke about her use of humour the work, citing people such as Jaques Tati as influences. The crumpled and sorry looking canvases are quite comical in appearance, certainly the structures that have been shaped to look like other objects appear quite odd. Some had suggested that the work had a degree of violence to it, although personally I felt that although the canvases appear to have sustained damage it does not seem to have been done in as haphazard a way as one might expect from a bout of angry violence.


No comments:

Post a Comment