Thoughts & Work. 2nd Year BA Drawing.

Wednesday 10 November 2010

HULA HOOPING atop the HAYWARD

MOVE: CHOREOGRAPHING YOU


Here is a trailer of the exhibition.


\


This was a fantastic exhibition, it really pushed me into doing things I would NEVER ordinarily do.  ...Lets take the example of dressing in a gorilla suit and messing about with random objects...it was surprisingly liberating to be in the costume... I felt hidden inside the suit, thus lost my inhibitions and was able to behave in a child/animal-like manner in front of other people viewing the show.


I felt that the Bruce Nauman piece related directly to my ideas about feeling trapped and also a sense of escape. As you enter the narrow space you immediately feel confined and the further you walk the more trapped you feel, your focus resting on the light at the end, once you reach halfway this feeling is at it's strongest.


Lygia Clark
This experience is very sensual, I thought the use of elasticated fabric to create walls was an interesting idea their flexibility reduces the sense of restriction one might feel when in a walled space. As you move through the space you must gesture and feel your way, outside one might observe an arm or leg pushing at the walls as the person inside makes their way through. I am interested in creating this sort of experience, I want to submerge the viewer in my work.






No comments:

Post a Comment